Sunday, November 10, 2013

Veterans Day 11K

About a week ago I got a text from my Dad asking me if I wanted to do a veterans day memorial run with him. He said it was for a good cause, and that he would pay for my race entry fee if I wanted to do it... how could I even say no!? A free race plus the chance to run with my Father? Um, yes please!

So, after pulling myself out of bed this morning at 5:00, gulping down a gluten-free English muffin, and gathering my GPS watch and Ipod, I headed out into the cold to meet up with my family. We stood around for about 45 minutes before we lined up for the race, and I took my place next to my Father. The next thing we knew we were off! My dad quickly darted around a bunch of people, eager to make his way to the open space at the front of the pack. I followed, and met up with him around mile 2. I ran with him for about a mile, and then he took his exit for the 5K while I ventured out for another loop along the 11K path.

Miles 3-6 were really nice. I talked with a few other runners that worked with my Dad, and slowly kept increasing my pace. I was right on track to finish with my goal time, and I could tell I still had a lot of energy left in the tank, so I decided to let loose for the last mile. This was when things started to go wrong. When I came to a fork in the road, I asked one of the volunteers which way I was supposed to go. He told me right, so I headed right and ran until another runner stopped me and told me I was going the wrong way. Confused, I turned around and headed back in the other direction. I was frustrated about the mix up in directions, but I just tried to focus on keeping my pace.

I was feeling good again until I came to another fork in the road. This time there was no one there, and I still had no clue which way to go. For fear of running the wrong way yet again, I stopped and waited for another runner behind me to catch up and tell me which way we need to go. He wasn't completely sure either, but I followed him anyhow not wanting to waste any more time. Finally, we made it to the finish line. My time was 1:01:02. I was so frustrated. I was only a minute and 2 seconds short of my goal, and I knew that I would have made my time had the course been better marked.

Despite a slightly crummy ending, the race went pretty well. I got to catch up with my parents, and naturally acquired a new PR since it was my first 11K.

My father and I before the race


Here's to another race bib to pin on the wall, and a new PR to break!


No comments:

Post a Comment