Saturday, May 18, 2013

Warrior Dash Oklahoma

Completed my second warrior dash Oklahoma today! It was really fun, my family and I all had a blast as always. The warrior dash never disappoints.


(My family before the race)

My day went like this...

Woke up at 6:30, ate a hearty bowl of oatmeal with peanut butter, and finished packing my suitcase. Met my parents at 8:30, then left from Mulvane KS and headed to Oklahoma. Once we finally got to the area where the race was, found parking, and got checked in to get our race bibs and shirts it's was really starting to heat up. By the time we got in line for our 2:00 heat, the temperature was already a scorching 100 degrees. Luckily, we had worked out way to the front of the starting gate, so we would be at the front of our heat. We all chugged a bunch of water waiting in line trying to stay hydrated. I just kept starring at the time clock above the starting line, waiting anxiously for the time to pass so I could unleash all of this energy I had building up. As the time winded down I started up my GPS watch, gave myself a little mental pep talk, and counted down the remaining seconds, 3.. 2.. 1... fire shot out of the top of the starting line, and I could feel the heat as I ran under it to taking off.


The very first thing was a big hill we ran up, then about a half a mile winding through a grass field. a little after the first mile mark, there was an extremely steep hill. One so steep that no one ran up it, everyone had to just walk to keep their footing. Then there were numerous other obstacles, such as climbing over barricades, crawling under barber wire through trenches, swimming through neck high water and climbing over floating obstacles, balancing and walking across beans over muddy water, and jumping over fire pits. By the time you get to the finish you are completely soaked, covered head to toe in mud, and typically pretty scraped up. It was so fun, and I love and earned each and every one of my battle scars.


I ended up finishing 10th in my age group our of 193 other girls, so I am pretty pleased. The warrior dash was fun last year, a blast this year, and certainly a must for next summer as well. My family is awesome, I couldn't ask for more amazing people to spend my weekend with.


(My mom and I after getting cleaned up)


No comments:

Post a Comment